If you’ve been getting lip fillers for years and have decided to take a break, be aware that although your lips will return to their original shape, the aging process will still continue to take place.
Movie stars and Reality TV stars are a huge inspiration in attempts to achieving the perfect lips. If you’re considering a makeover for your lips, there are a few dos and don’ts you need to be mindful of when considering lip filler treatments.
- Find out the type of injectable filler you will be receiving, and that the filer is suited for lips.
- It is important to inform the doctor if you’ve had any history of cold sores, as medications can be prescribed to minimize an occurrence of them after lip injections.
- Bring photos of what you are expecting to achieve.
- Be realistic, don’t expect lips like Angelina Jolie in one treatment. You would need these lip injections spaced apart, as it is a gradual process. This should never be attempted within one treatment.
- Lips are very sensitive and highly vascular. Be prepared for some discomfort, however Juvederm and Teosyal lip fillers have lidocaine mixed in to make the injection tolerable
- Icing the area after treatment will help minimize bruising and swelling
- Wait at least a week for your healed results before making any decisions or attempts to adjust the size and contour.
- Before lip augmentation, DON’T take aspirin, anti-inflammatory medications such as Advil, Fish Oils, or high doses of vitamin E. Medications that causes blood-thinning will increase your risk of bruising and bleeding.
- Avoid kissing for 48 hours post lip injections. Product is malleable and may shift and distort lips.
- DON’T massage your lips! Again product is malleable and may move or shift.
- DON’T have this treatment right before a big event. It is likely that your lips will swell, and you’d likely want to have lip augmentation done a week or two prior to wanting to look your very best.
- Don’t be alarmed after injection if your lips are swollen and/or bruised. Lips are vascular. Bruises should fade after five to seven days
- Hot drinks and alcohol should be avoided for the first day or two after lip injections, since this can cause further swelling and bruising
- Don’t exercise for at least 24 hours following treatment
- Avoid excessive heat exposure such as the sun, sauna and tanning beds; during the recovery period as this will increase swelling.