What is BOTOX® Cosmetic?
- BOTOX® Cosmetic is a prescription medicine that is injected into muscles and used to improve the look of moderate to severe frown lines between the eyebrows (glabellar lines) in people 18 to 65 years of age for a short period of time (temporary).BOTOX® Cosmetic is administered by a healthcare professional as a simple, nonsurgical treatment that is injected directly into the muscles between the brows. It works by blocking nerve impulses to the injected muscles. This reduces muscle activity that causes moderate to severe lines to form between the brows. Individual results may vary.
How does BOTOX® Cosmetic work?
- BOTOX® Cosmetic is a prescription medicine that is injected into muscles and used to improve the look of the “11s,” the moderate-to-severe frown lines between the eyebrows (glabellar lines). It works by blocking nerve impulses to the injected muscles. This reduces muscle activity that causes moderate to severe lines to form between the brows.
When will I see results from a BOTOX® Cosmetic treatment?
- Within days, you may see a marked improvement in the moderate-to-severe frown lines between your brows. Lines continue to improve for up to 30 days, and results can last for up to 4 months. Individual results may vary.
How long does BOTOX® Cosmetic last?
- Visible results have been shown to last up to 4 months. Your own results may vary – be sure to talk to your healthcare provider about what you can expect and when to schedule your next appointment.
Who should administer BOTOX® Cosmetic?
- BOTOX® Cosmetic should be administered by a registered professional. Contact Lasting Looks to learn more about the specialists available to you.
Is treatment with BOTOX® Cosmetic painful?
- Discomfort is usually minimal and brief. Prior to injection, your physician may choose to numb the area with a cold pack or anesthetic cream. The entire procedure takes approximately 10 minutes. Most patients are in and out of the physician’s office without downtime following BOTOX® Cosmetic treatment.Side effects associated with the injection include localized pain, infection, inflammation, tenderness, swelling, swelling, redness, and/or bleeding/bruising.
Will I still be able to make facial expressions?
- Although the results are visible, a treatment with BOTOX® Cosmetic (onabotulinumtoxinA) will not radically change your facial appearance or make you look as if you’ve “had work done.” The muscle activity that causes frown lines between the brows is temporarily reduced, so you can still frown or look surprised without the wrinkles and creases between your brows.
Who should not take BOTOX® Cosmetic?
- Do not take BOTOX® Cosmetic if you:
» are allergic to any of the ingredients in BOTOX® or BOTOX® Cosmetic. See the Medication Guide for a list of ingredients in BOTOX® and BOTOX® Cosmetic.
» had an allergic reaction to any other botulinum toxin product such as Myobloc® or Dysport®
have a skin infection at the planned injection siteYou should not be treated with BOTOX® Cosmetic if you have:
» a disease that affects your muscles and nerves (such as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis [ALS or Lou Gehrig’s disease], myasthenia gravis or Lambert-Eaton syndrome). See “What is the most important information I should know about BOTOX® and BOTOX® Cosmetic?” in the Medication Guide
» allergies to any botulinum toxin product
» had any side effect from any botulinum toxin product in the past
» a breathing problem, such as asthma or emphysema
» swallowing problems
» bleeding problems
» plans to have surgery
» had surgery on your face
» weakness of your forehead muscles, such as trouble raising your eyebrows
» drooping eyelids
» any other change in the way your face normally looks
» are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. It is not known if BOTOX® Cosmetic can harm your unborn baby.
» are breast-feeding or plan to breastfeed. It is not known if BOTOX® Cosmetic passes into breast milk.